Monday, March 12, 2007

CRIMINAL MINDS: TALKING WITH ANDREW WILDER


Criminal Minds: Day One Ending: I was very tired by this point in the day. Everyone was tired. While "A" stood in the hallway I stepped into a very small room and sat in the first chair I saw behind the Director and the Script Supervisor. Andrew Wilder, the writer of "Ashes and Dust" came in to sit and watch and I offered him what turned out to be his chair back but instead someone else got up and gave him their chair. I loved talking with Andrew. It was late in the day and he was asking me this and that about what the fans are talking about. Since there was almost nobody in the room and we were whispering anyway I decided to go for it and I asked him every question I have ever had since the show started. We had a great conversation basically matching each other question for question. Looking back on it our conversation was probably the highlight of my whole trip. I shared with him some of my observations about my day and some of the things I had heard and suspected. For about half a minute he tried what Mr. Carroll had tried earlier in the day...he tried to unspoil me. I told him I was more spoiled than cheese in a hot car and that I wasn't stupid and having people all over the building asking me the same exact questions independently of each other certainly had told me everything I wanted to know. I also told him at this point I obviously could be trusted and I can. At this point the real conversation started. It is very clear that Andrew is passionate about the show and especially about the cast. He has written four of our finest episodes to date and he talked to me about his motivation when he wrote them. I told him some things that I would like to see on the show and he explained to me why I would never get those things. The entire time the cameras were rolling and we would stop chatting to watch the different shots they were taking. Next to the Director sits a woman who I had not paid any attention to all day. Because we were in such a tiny space I really was taking notice of how busy she was. She sits there and writes feverishly and her book has literally tons of stickies hanging throughout it. They filmed the same one snippet six times and each time Thomas Gibson said his opening line she would turn to the few of us in the room for clarification of how he was pronouncing one specific location name. The Producer asked for something to be done to one of the cameras and since we had a few minutes I finally asked her what exactly was her job. She is in charge of script continuity. She notes which shots the Producer liked the best, wording problems, basically she is the walking diary of every single shot taken everyday. I would not want her job because it is very hard. She asked me a few questions about the blog and I mentioned that we do discuss continuity and actually my friend Stacy has some concerns. A look of relief came across her face when I told her it concerned Hotchner's backstory and she was very quick to tell me that that is the writers and not her. Andrew asked what the problem was and even asked John E. Gallagher, the Director of "Ashes and Dust" to listen to what I had to say. I explained to them that Stacy had basically charted the dates out and they had really made a big mess. Both of them said that they would take a look at it and see if they could find ways of working fixing it into future episodes. They also were going to share the info with the other writers. Do I believe them? Yes I do. These people are so invested in this show and they are so professional. Nobody wants the show to be great more than they do. Our cast is great but the writers and producers of this show are the very soul of Criminal Minds. Tomorrow I was going to get to have some time with Aaron Zelman but closing my first day talking with Andrew was great. They were still shooting when "A" and I decided to leave. My first day on the set of Criminal Minds was wonderful. :)

40 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can understand why this was such a highlight for you. The actors just read the lines but the stories we love come from the writers. They are the "soul" as you said. Great way of expressing that. I loved this post. Thanks for sharing your first day with us.

lisaw918 said...

Ooh, I want to hear what Aaron Zelman had to say. I am sending virtual kisses in the direction of this man's feet for writing "Won't Get Fooled Again." I realize it was early on and things have moved on a bit from Gideon's PTSD and the Boston catastrophe, but that episode is in my top...three, I'd say. Absolutely brilliant episode.

Anonymous said...

I love the writers. I think they do such a hard job. Did you give them some ideas on some potential stories we might like and possible set locations. There is a great fishing pierdown from my house that would be great for a few scenes. I would volunteer to make tea for the whole cast and crew. In my dreams.

Anonymous said...

I love the writers. I think they do a very good job.

Anonymous said...

I've found that authors, all kinds, love to spoil someone once they've figured out that someone isn't going to spread the word. It's like the story is stuck on their tongue and if they don't talk, they'll explode. Love that you got to talk with the writers.

Elizabeth said...

Ah yes, the Hotch backstory that means he went to law school at age 5 or thereabouts?

I really hope they get this one sorted out and good spot by Stacy.

nebula

Anonymous said...

Very very cool, Jill! I'm glad you got to spend some time with some of the writers. They really do rock, and some of the things they've done this season are positively amazing. Even when we pick on them, we love them best!

The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

Ho exciting that you got to be involved in such a detailed way - and kudos to all of these folks for taking you seriously as you deserve to be taken and valuing your insight. I'll bet the show we love becomes even better because of your willingness to be so invested and to express your questions and concerns!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, it's great that you got to sit and have such a great conversation with such a great person. I hope you learned lots, and glad you got to share some of your own concerns with them!

Elizabeth Bear said...

It's simple! Hotch got caught in a space/time loop and aged ten years between S1 and S2.

What? I'm a science fiction geek! It could happen!

...oh, wait, wrong genre.

;-)

Jill, this sounds like the best conversation *ever.*

Anonymous said...

I think it is amazing that there aren't more inconstiencies given the complex stories and characters they work with. I am also in awe of the way in which they are feeding us backstories. It is only lately with Reid that we have been given large chunks. Usually they work it in more gracefully.

Anonymous said...

I would LOVE to know the back stories on all the characters, but I kind of like the slow reveal, a little here and a little there--it keeps you watching!

Anonymous said...

I have tried my hand at writing and it is so difficult. I would love to talk with the writers. What talented men and women they truly are.

slashgirl said...

How weird am I in that I think it would be great to do the continuity person's job on the show? It might be stressful and difficult but honestly, I think I'd enjoy it.

I think it's cool you got to talk to the writers, especially Andrew Wilder--he's the writer on two of my (several) favourite eps--L.D.S.K. and The Tribe (in fact, if they could work out some way to bring back John Blackwolf for another ep, I'd love them forever and ever). I'm also thrilled/amazed that they were interested in my little rant re: Hotch's timeline. I never expected when I posted that to my LJ and to the yahoo cm group that anything would come of it.

And if the CM writers DO manage to fix it? I'll be rather amazed. (I think the biggest mistake was mentioning Hotch's grad year in FK1.) It's like they don't really have a show "bible" with all the character info in it--and maybe they should?

Did you mention the thing with Morgan's age in Profiler, Profiled--how on two different screens Garcia looked at it said he was born in 73, yet he was 15 in 1991? I'd like to age like that! *lol*

Ignoring my nitpicking for the moment, I do have to say that I think the writers do a great job--the actual characters characterisations are great and consistent...and I like how they make us work things out for ourselves sometimes. Writing isn't an easy job, I do know that, quite keenly (hey, it might just be fanfic, but I take my hobby seriously).

CM truly has a great writing staff; I wouldn't love this show so much if they didn't. So, a big thank you to the writers!

Anonymous said...

Since I have been taking some writing classes at my university I have come to really appreciate the patience, talent and skill writers have. I am doing well in my classes but have so much to learn. It gets frustrating.

Anonymous said...

Hey he did North Mammon which was the first time we actually got to see AJ do anything. I have loved her since. That was a great episode. Loved the scene with the girls walking down the street wrapped in the blankets and the team running to get to them. Great epi.

Anonymous said...

The writers have given us like about 35 episodes so far and I have liked all but just a rare few. They do a good job and I trust them with our characters.

But would it kill them to finally give us some backstory on Gideon and Garcia.

Anonymous said...

If I had to decide whether to meet the writers or the stars I would pick the writers. I think they are wonderful. I would have a bunch of questions for them.

Anonymous said...

It's amazing that they're going to take it on board and try to 'fix'. Other series (higher in the ratings at the moment) don't seem to bother..and it shows!

Anonymous said...

That really sounds like a great conversation.

@slashgirl
Being the person in charge of the script continuity would be my favorite job, too. Weird, I know...

The ladie is doing such an interesting job in my opinion, I think I had talked to her hours and hours!
Should I email her my "nit-pick pictures" as some kind of "souvenir"?? *gg*

Jill, I like that post very much and am very interested what happened the next day...

CU sindee

Anonymous said...

I would love to spend time with the writers. They are so talented.

Anonymous said...

What a wealth of info you gained from that quality time with the people who are such an important part of the program! GREAT!!

Anonymous said...

Writing is such a hard job, and I have to give props to them! But little ol me, wants to know: What's is going to happen to Reid!!! lol.

Anonymous said...

To receive this type of high praise from you he has to be a special person. His episodes have been very good. Bravo Mr. Wilder.

Anonymous said...

It is only because we have digital technology and can freeze frames that we see so many “errors”. Watching at normal speed we won’t see many of the details. I like to see stills but I really don’t try to pick out all the small things because it interferes with my enjoyment. However, I did have an issue in Revelations with the location of the cross on Tobias’ head as a child and then as an adult. ; ( If I did not watch it so many times I would not have noticed.

I do appreciate the work of the continuity expert- so much thanks to her!

Anonymous said...

I am so ready for A & D. I love repeats like the next person but it just reminds me of what a darn long summer we are going to have ahead of us. Not happy!

Anonymous said...

Bravo to Mr. Wilder for all he has written and we look forward to even bigger and better in season three. The writers have their work cut out betting the great two seasons they have already given us but yes please do fix some of the mishaps if possible.

Anonymous said...

How cool that you got to speak with such an interesting and educated person (about the show and probably in other areas, as well). It must have been lovely to share ideas and interpretations with such an important part of the machine that is Criminal Minds.

Double cool that you told him about Stacy's Hotch timeline issues and that he seemed interested.

And as interesting as meeting with the writers, continuity people, etc. must have been, I must say. i cannot think of anything cooler than meeting MGG and talking about his career aspirations (and staring into those incredible eyes; the brain's probably pretty incredible, too).

Anonymous said...

Our writers rock n roll!

Anonymous said...

It is interesting to read the behind the scenes information you are giving. I have dabbled with writing and it is very difficult. You have to have the gift and these writers certainly do have that gift.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great conversation!

Anonymous said...

The writers rule!

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have been a fly on the wall.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you not only told them you appreciated their work but also gave them the boo boos to fix. They can do it.

Anonymous said...

I am happy to read that they are also open minded about ways in which to make the show better. I love the show but I would like to have some of the dings fixed.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, for me it would have been tied with meeting MGG, but I'm glad you had such a great time talking to the writers. Thanks for sharing your great end to a great day!

Anonymous said...

What a great chance of luck in your day to have the chance to speak in length with one of the writers. That would be a dream for me.

Anonymous said...

I think the writers of the show are fantastic. They are one of the many reasons why this show is such a huge hit!

Anonymous said...

Great job on this episode Mr. Wilder. We loved it. Keep them coming and we will keep watching!

Anonymous said...

I think it's awesome they all take such an interest in what the fans have to say.

jacqui