Tuesday, March 13, 2007

CRIMINAL MINDS: SOME THOUGHTS


Linn posted a comment asking if I hid some notes around the Gideon office on the Criminal Minds set and it made me think about some of things that happened during my visit that I wanted to share. "A" told me many do's and don'ts prior to arriving on the set on day one and I tried very hard to make sure I followed the rules to the letter. I made some innocent mistakes along the way but all in all I think I did alright. One rule is do not touch anything. When I was in the storage area taking pictures of Garcia's desk I picked up the garbage can sitting on the desk and placed it on the floor. It never occured to me that this was wrong but it was and thankfully one of the props staff assured me that it was okay and not to worry about it. I was told to always stay out of an actor's line of sight when they are shooting. I have no idea if I did this well because I am still not clear on what it means or what to do about it when you are packed like sardines in the hall while they are shooting infront of you. There is no way to move so what do you do to accomplish that? No idea but I wasn't thrown off the set so I guess I did alright. Many people are asking about the set layouts and it is a great question. The main BAU set with the desks and the stairs leading to the offices, the offices and conference room are main sets and the areas in the studio around those sets are where everything else is filmed within the studio. Someone else emailed and asked if I had any regrets and the answer to that is yes. I have things I did not see that I would have liked to because I forgot to ask. I would have liked more time to speak with Mr. Bernero but he is a very busy man. I had a list of things I wanted to accomplish while I was there and half of it is still not accomplished. I still wonder if I adequately thanked all the crew for everything they do week after week. So yes there are lots of things I would do differently. Early on day one I watched while a visitor being hosted by Touchstone received a whole bag of Criminal Minds promotional giveaways and I remember thinking how great it would be to give those items to members of the Yahoo group I run but since CBS had already done so much for me I never asked even though I know it would have happened had I asked. Later when I was back home and another fan and I spoke I felt even more guilty about letting you down because these are very generous people and the fault was mine. I think that is enough of my notes for now. I still have my meeting with Mandy, MGG wearing his mismatched socks, getting stuck in Gideon's office and more to post so I will shut up now. :)

35 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for explaining the set layout to us and you have never let us down so get that damn thought out of your head.

Elizabeth said...

Jill, I am amazed you managed not to faint and to have coherent conversations with people while you were there, so don't worry about the things you think you SHOULD have done - you did great, lady!

nebula

Anonymous said...

I am almost in tears that you think you let anyone down. You spent your own money to make pictures and for tv guides for us to have. You did great and don't go there.

Anonymous said...

Well no biggie Jill, maybe they'll invite you back and you can do all those things! :)

Lee

Anonymous said...

I agree with elizabeth about the fainting and coherent conversations because I would never have been able to do it. I would have frozen the minute one of the cast members came into the room. They would have had to pick me up and move me out of the way because I would have been stuck in place.

Anonymous said...

You have absolutely nothing to feed guilty about, nor should you feel let down. Firstly, you did not have to bring ANYTHING for them to sign to give to your Yahoo members. Secondly, this was YOUR trip, based on YOUR efforts, you owed us nothing overall.

I appreciate every moment you take to share your trip with us. I think that's gift enough to be able to share it with you and see what you did and what you experienced. You need not feel bad about anything regarding us sitting on the other end.

However, on that note, I am determined to get me a copy of a signed something, so everybody better watch out cause I'll be on fire. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hey, Jill -- you know they think you're a rock star and so do we! You didn't let anybody down. The things you managed to pack into a day and a half on the set are amazing, and if all you'd brought back were stories and memories that would be WAY more than enough -- but you have awesome pictures and so much else -- you truly rock!

Anonymous said...

I had a feeling they had to leave the larger scenes in place and work around them. The studio must be very large to accomodate such large sets. I think it would interesting to go on location with them as well to see what that is like. I find this all fascinating and I love the pics.

Anonymous said...

Were you scared to death when you realized you had moved the garbage can? It is nice that they were understanding about it and realized you just did not know not to do it. I would have wanted to touch everything.

Elizabeth Bear said...

Jill, we're living vicariously through you. You are generous enough to share, and we really appreciate it.

And thank you for answering my question about the set!

Anonymous said...

I think by looking at the pictures you have posted I can see what you mean about the main set since even the desk pics are the same as we see them on tv.

Anonymous said...

I agree completely with Macmillk--you are being so generous sharing your pictures, your thoughts, your experience from your wonderful trip.

THANK YOU JILL!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful report of an exciting time! And I think you did exactly enough...and knew when to "quit while ahead." WE COULDN'T AND SHOULDN'T WISH FOR ANYTHING MORE!!

Anonymous said...

We're all in agreement! Jill, you earned your experience out there in CM land, and I appreciate all the work you've put into posting your pics and your descriptions of your adventures! You are AWESOME and are my absolute hero!

You're Quentin's hero, too! (He wants to know if AJ signed any pics of the bad dogs in Revelations. And if they got SAG cards, since they got speaking parts. Now he wants one, too, so he can do a scene w. Kris!)

Anonymous said...

I would have had cameras in every pocket and hanging off a rope around my neck. Oh sweetie please tell me that you ended up with a picture of Mandy.

Anonymous said...

What did the plane look like? Can you explain that to us?

Anonymous said...

May we have more sock pictures please and more Shemar pictures and more MGG pictures.....just more of all of it please! Love this blog.

PS: I have emailed you.

Anonymous said...

I think it is normal and probably to be expected to think of hundreds of things you wished you had done when the trip was over. You had tons to see and pictures to take. Plus I think there had to be a very surreal feeling about being on the set of a show you watch and promote every week. I would have been a stammering idiot.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with the poster before me. I would have gotten home and thought of a thousand things that I had missed doing but you can only do what you can do. I feel that way many times after a vacation.

Anonymous said...

We went to Hawaii last year and our room had a patio with a great view of the ocean. I would sit out there all the time just relaxing and marveling on how beautiful it was. When I got home I realized I hadn't taken the first picture of it. I feel your pain!

Anonymous said...

I can only repeat what others have siad, you really didn'tlet any of us down- on the contrary, I think you did us all proud!
I understand that you would have felt maybe a little 'greedy' asking for more when you'd already been given somuch by way of their time. So don'tbeat yourself up!

Anonymous said...

I would have fainted as well so I think you did a great job. I love the backstory of the producing of the show that you are giving us. I think it is going to be so great to see those things in the repeat tomorrow and our brand new episode which is comin up!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth says faint and I say throw up. I would have puked from nerves and I am really new to the show. Oh I would have been a bloody wreck.

Anonymous said...

I wonder why the garbage can was sitting on the desk.

Anonymous said...

I am wondering what it felt like the first time you walked onto the set and you were standing in the main bau room that we see week after week? I can't even imagine!

Anonymous said...

I think it means to not try to engage an actor by making direct contact. I think it means not to encourage an actor to look back at you but as you said what do you do if there is no space to move. This is all so interesting.

Anonymous said...

Was there any rule against drooling? Because if so I could never go there. I would be drooling over every actor and just everything.

Anonymous said...

I would have had a thousand ?s for Mr. Bernero. Every interview he does they all ask him the same tired questions. Boring interviews with such a really interesting person.

Anonymous said...

Haha can't wait to hear about getting stuck in the office!

Anonymous said...

I am loving your journal and your candid look behind the scenes. You are our gem.

Anonymous said...

I am thrilled CBS did this for you and I can understand your reluctance to ask for anything else. I am not going to say I am not disappointed but it is way cool. You brought us back your insights and these great pictures. You have given us a wonderful behind the scenes view and I am very happy with that. I never trust what I read in magazines because it is all spin and hype. You have told us what really happens and that is great.

Anonymous said...

I love your insights into the production of the show. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Oh, you mustn't stop. I really LOVE your stories "behind" the story...

It seems as you followed all the rules, because you were allowed to come back the second day. *gg*

CU sindee

Anonymous said...

Jill, thanks for posting that. It sounds like you are an organized person and did as much as you could do in the time alotted. I know you did your best and thanks for that. The trip sounds like a success, anyway you put it. :)

There is so much to learn and see about visiting a set like that. I know you did just fine. Maybe in the future, you will have another list to accomplish.

Anonymous said...

I would've been terrified I'd do something horribly wrong while on that set.

jacqui