Wednesday, June 23, 2010

CRIMINAL MINDS: A.J. COOK & PAGET BREWSTER BY NEOSHIA R.


CRIMINAL MINDS: A.J. COOK AND PAGET BREWSTER
BY: Neoshia Roemer

When I first read about the decision that the head honchos at CBS had made not to pick up AJ Cook and to reduce the number of episodes of which Paget Brewster would appear during the sixth season of Criminal Minds, I was very confused. I literally called my best friend and vented for a good 30 to 45 minutes. I had no idea what was happening. I read the article several times. I just couldn't wrap my mind around this. I have only been watching Criminal Minds since this past September. Since then, I have caught up on each and every episode of the show. Each episode I watched of the show only captivated me even more. I have seriously never seen an episode of Criminal Minds that I could say I didn't like. Obviously, there are some that I like more than others, but the show is just great. For this reason, I still cannot figure out to this day why in the world CBS would want to fix something that's obviously not broken.

I didn't fall in love with Criminal Minds just because of the subject matter. Although the subject matter is what keeps me enthralled with the show, I love the show most of all for its unique ensemble aspect. It is a team in every meaning of the word. The team of people who make this show great became more evident after news of these casting changes was made public and several members of the cast commented showing their support for their fellow cast members. I just can't imagine the show without one of those players, let alone the two most prominent female members of the cast. I love all of the Criminal Minds ladies: AJ Cook, Paget Brewster, and Kirsten Vangsness. I think each of these ladies brings something special to the table. The fact that CBS has basically said that they aren't needed on this show has upset me tremendously. From what I understand, the only reason that Kirsten Vangsness was able to retain her status as a regular is because of her strong following. Well, Paget and AJ also have a strong following. They are two of the most positive female role models on television right now. I think that it is wrong for CBS to assume the male characters on the show are more popular. It is simply not true. As a true fan of the show, I love them all.

I am heartbroken by the decision that CBS has made to not allow AJ back and to reduce Paget's episodes next season. It was great to have female role models on television that were not just the typical girls usually shown on screen. These are two great actresses who have earned the love and support of fans around the world. I am a proud Criminal Minds fan, and I am proud to say that I support AJ and Paget. I think they are just as valuable as other members of the cast, and they should be treated as such. I will continue to watch Criminal Minds regardless of what CBS does, but I will do so with gloom as I remember the talent and heart that this show is losing with AJ Cook being gone and Paget Brewster being in only a reduced number of episodes.

Neoshia R.