Tuesday, February 06, 2007

CRIMINAL MINDS: APPLES, ORANGES, CRITICS & RATINGS


1996, “Friends,” 53 million, NBC
1997 “The X-Files,” 29 million, Fox
1998, “3rd Rock From the Sun,” 33.6 million, NBC
1999, “Family Guy,” 22 million, Fox
2000, “The Practice,” 24 million, ABC
2001, “Survivor: The Australian Outback,” 45.4 million, CBS
2002, “Malcolm in the Middle,” 21 million, Fox
2003, “Alias,” 17.4 million, ABC
2004, “Survivor: All Stars,” 36 million, CBS
2005, “The Simpsons,” 23 million Fox
2006, “Grey’s Anatomy,” 38 million, ABC
2007, "Criminal Minds," 26.2 million, CBS
I am getting sick of reading negative reports pointing out that "Criminal Minds" did not do as well in the after Super Bowl spot as "Grey's Anatomy" did last year. It is like comparing an apple and an orange since both shows are completely different than each other. Lets just talk about the real truth for a moment and see where it gets us. Criminal Minds scored its highest ever ratings with "The Big Game". If I wanted to get snarky, and we all know I can from time to time, I could point out that no show has beaten the "Friends" record set in 1996. Does that mean that all the other shows were failures? No it doesn't. Personally I am thrilled with the overnight numbers. I have read no CBS Press Releases saying they had made the actors go stand in the corner so evidently they are happy with the numbers. The fans of the show enjoyed themselves and new viewers have been added to the fold. And if I might be allowed to get a bit snarky for just a moment then let me point out that the majority of negative articles showing up on the internet are the same article being printed verbatim and rehashed in all the local papers. God love the AP. I stand behind my opinion of the episode and I commend CBS's choice to air the show in such a coveted spot and I commend the writers, the crew and the wonderful cast who gave us such wonderful performances. Kudos to Mandy Patinkin, Kirsten Vangsness, Thomas Gibson, A.J. Cook, Matthew Gray Gubler, Paget Brewster and Shemar (I can dance) Moore.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. If I read the words "dropped the ball" one more time I'll flip. Our show did AWESOME. The cast should be more than proud as should the crew. Kudos to all of them a million times over.

Lee :)

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree with you more if I tried. I tell everyone about the show and your blog. I am proud of how well the show did and I even gave a lecture using the show to my students. Phoey on the critics.

Anonymous said...

You can't see me but I am clapping my hands at what you have written. I am so over the top sick of the negative spin the press puts on the show. I love the show. I consider myself to be an intelligent 26 year old with a level head on my shoulders and my husband is as well and we both loved it.

Anonymous said...

You nailed it exactly. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Speaking as someone who say the show for the first time only because it came on after the game I am really glad that they aired it. My wife has already programed it as a favorite on our tivo.

Anonymous said...

As I mentioned in regular group yesterday, I EMAILED A HOT NOTE TO "TV GUIDE" CRITICIZER MATT ROUSH YESTERDAY!! I was fed-up, too!
Anyone who wants to read it, let me know. I will send to you.

Anonymous said...

you echo my thoughts exactly.

Anonymous said...

Have you been reading my thoughts because I have been thinking the same thing since the reviews and news came out after the episode.

Anonymous said...

Ditto to it all.

Anonymous said...

I wish you would write for blogcritics so you could set the world straight on our show.

Anonymous said...

Joyce,
I want to read it!!!

Lee
You can get my email from Jill if possible.

Anonymous said...

Ditto

Anonymous said...

Amen! As I said in the Yahoo Group, my hubby and I usually watch the shows that the critics pan because we end up liking them! So there!!

Anonymous said...

I do not know much about the show because I am new but the ratings seem good to me and I will keep watching the show.

Anonymous said...

Lee and Charizza...I will contact Jill re sending my article to you.
(Actually, I didn't hit Roush as hard as I wanted to! Was easy on him...HA!)

Anonymous said...

I would like to see her letter too please. Could you publish it here as a comment?

Anonymous said...

I would like to see her letter too please. Could you publish it here as a comment?

Anonymous said...

Screw em babe.

Criminal Minds Fan said...

JOYCE'S EMAIL:

Dear Matt Roush,

I don't think you have ever said anything good about "Criminal Minds", and
your negative comments have sure gotten to be old. Well, guess what? Many
Senior Citizens like myself (and we are old, too) LOVE THE PROGRAM!! Best
show on the air. It is different than standard reality shows, and CSI's
cut-up bodies, but it focuses on the minds of all...young, old, weak,
strong.

If it were not that I enjoy so many other good sections of TV GUIDE, I would
not buy it mainly because of comments and criticisms like yours. I know you
are a critic, with a job to be negative to pretty much everything you see.
However, do you ever see any "good" in anything you review? You have an
absolutely wonderful smile in your photos, but is it real?

Yes, "Criminal Minds" is a dark-truth drama and scary in many ways.
"Criminal Minds" makes us think and see what the world is up against. Does
it make us "criminal minds" of ourselves? I doubt it! Quite the opposite.
Some of us try to become better people and counteract the bad elements we
have become aware of in the big wide world. If a show can bring that out in
someone, then it must have some good to it!

I am 66 years of age, and I feel that "Criminal Minds" has broadened my
knowledge of "what makes people tick" more than any other show I have seen.
This will benefit me in understanding and working with the public in my
future projects.

Also at these later years of my life, I gain more from drama, good
characters, colorful locations (with action) than I ever do from boring,
negative newscasts.

I just wanted to share my thoughts about a program you have a "mind"
against.

Thanks for reading this! You are welcome to comment back to me if you
desire.

Joyce Frazier

Anonymous said...

F-em.

Anonymous said...

I love the show and wish I had not read and taken seriously all the bad reviews because now I am a season and a half behind.

Anonymous said...

Jill,

Thanks for publishing Joyce's e-mail to Matt Roush. Joyce, you hit the ball out of the park! It wasn't something that he could easily dismiss as the ranting of a crazy person. It was well thought out and well-written! Good job!

Anonymous said...

Damn straight. It was an amazing episode and it needs to be celebrated.

Anonymous said...

Go girl.

Anonymous said...

So right!

Anonymous said...

amen. honestly, I'd like to know what they think would've done better. the superbowl episode did amazing things for this show.

looking at those past numbers, I'm kind of sad to see ALIAS got the worst rating in that ten year period. I love that show...and I loved that episode. oh well.

jacqui #197