Thursday, March 08, 2007

CRIMINAL MINDS: KIRSTEN OPENS HER GIFTS



Criminal Minds Trip Diary: Day One: Kirsten Vangsness is a fascinating person to have a conversation with. She is open and holds nothing back. One of the first things she asked me is if I had met her friend Gina Garcia Sharp. I told her that I had and how Scott and Gina had helped Kris get some background work to earn his Sag card. Then Kirsten told me how she landed the job on the Criminal Minds which makes me adore Gina even more than before. Gina and Kirsten have been friends for many years. When the pilot for Criminal Minds was being cast Gina was able to help Kirsten get the part which only had a few lines but Kirsten was happy about the opportunity. So off to Canada she went to film the pilot. Kirsten was very nervous and did not think she was doing very well and then one of the Producers asked her if she could do her lines in a funny way. When the Pilot was finished Kirsten returned to LA, continued working multiple jobs trying to earn a living and was actively auditioning for roles. The part of Garcia had been filled with a male actor but in a late decision it was decided that the cast was male heavy and that the part should be recast with a woman. Gina called Kirsten and asked her if she was interested and the rest, as they say, is Criminal Minds history.

Kirsten is a fun person to be around. She is easygoing and sincere. She also is a modern day version of Mary Poppins. When she opened her purse to look for something you would not believe the things she took out of it. We all just laughed but she said she likes to be prepared for every possibility. She had everything in her purse but the kitchen sink and I am not really sure that wasn't in it. I was wondering what she was looking so hard for and it turned out to be a thank you note for me. I was as moved then as I am now writing about it.

She was amazed at the generousity of everyone who had taken the time to write her letters and send her pens and goodies. She said that she had no idea when she posted on her blog that we would do that for her. I thanked her, as I have in the past, for not mentioning she needed something larger than pens. She asked me why I thought people liked her character and we discussed that for awhile. Then she blew my mind. She told me and everyone at the table about the post I did on my daughter's 16th birthday and how wonderful it was and asked why I removed it after just a few days. I knew Kirsten had been reading the blog but I did not realize she had even seen that post since it only stayed up for a few days. She likes to read what the fans are saying and thinking about the show. She told me funny stories about the different outfits we was wearing in the pictures I brought for her to autograph and lets just say she is a hoot. Spending time with Kirsten was one of the highlights of my trip. She is a class act and I appreciate her mentioning me and this blog in her latest CBS blog update. We will see a bit more of Kirsten later in this diary. :)

45 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun! I just love her.

Lee :)

Anonymous said...

Very cool -- I knew from reading her blog that she was fun, but it's nice to hear first-hand.

And how sweet of her to come in on her day off to meet you.

Anonymous said...

That girl is amazing. I love her on the show and it's great to hear that she's so cool in real life too.

Elizabeth Bear said...

Garcia is my favorite television character *ever.*

Which I think makes Kirsten my favorite actress. She's awesome!

Anonymous said...

Thanks to Gina for snagging Kirsten! Thanks to Kirsten for giving us Penelope Garcia! I cannot imagine anyone else in the role.

I like unique characters and she is definitlely one of them : )

Anonymous said...

I'm glad she's as nice as she appears to be on her blog.

Anonymous said...

Look at her smiling! Who wouldn't be with all those awesome pens and gifts! THANK YOU GINA!!!!!!! I really cannot imagine anyone else as Garcia, especially not a man. I would miss the little endearing banter between Shemar and her terribly too! Kirsten is one hell of an actress and very amusing and fun to hang out with it looks like!

Anonymous said...

I just knew she had to be nice and funny also in person. She is so great as Garcia. What would the show like without her? I don't even want to think about that. Thanks Gina!

Anonymous said...

This is so cool. Look at her stash!

Melanie said...

She seems hilarious, easy to talk to, and like a real sweetheart. And I love the character! Is Kirsten at all like her character?

Anonymous said...

Thats great to hear how she got the part.

Anonymous said...

I love the way that Kirsten dresses the way she does and they have Garcia dress the same way.

Anonymous said...

She looks like a sweetie.

Anonymous said...

Look at that smile. I am so glad we got Kirsten as Garcia. I can't imagine a man having those kinds of conversations with Morgan. lol

Anonymous said...

What a lovely lady. I'm glad she enjoyed her gifties.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like she's alot like her character--funny, bright, and great to be around!

Anonymous said...

The casting on this show is so well done. Garcia is such a pivotal character and Kirsten's appearances light up the screen - I could not imagine the Oracle of Quantico being played by anybody else, let alone a male actor.

I just wish I could get away with answering the phone like that at my job!

Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Did you get a chance to ask her where the endearments she uses on the phone come from? Are they all in the script, or does she make some up on the fly? I love her exchanges with Morgan, of course, but my very favorite was when she called Hotchner "my liege."

I so want to go shopping with her still -- more so now. We have a kick-ass vintage store here, three stories tall. She could get awesome new outfits, and help me overcome my fear of color ...

Anonymous said...

Garcia you ROCK!!!!

Anonymous said...

She's so amazing, she really is. I still remember her talking in an interview where they were going to cast an older, overweight man for the part. Looking back I cannot picture ANYBODY but her doing it. And yes, what would that hot exchange of info between Morgan and the comp-tech be like with a MAN? *giggle* Just wouldn't work.

She's perfect for the part, a phenomenal actress, and seems to be just a totally fun person to be around. I truly hope to see more of her in the upcoming shows for the future!

Anonymous said...

I wanna meet her

Anonymous said...

It would seem like Garcia is really just an extension of Kirsten.

Anonymous said...

I really love her character and I am so happy to hear she is a nice as we all thought she was. Hi Kirsten!!!!

Anonymous said...

She has the kind of smile you'd have to smile back to, even if you were in a really bad mood.

The bit about the 'purse' threw me for a minute - in the UK a 'purse' is sort of like a wallet where you put your cards and money. You put your purse in a 'handbag' (bag), US purse...gets confusing sometimes.

Anonymous said...

She is really adorable. I would love to have her on the show always. I hope she has a long contract.

Anonymous said...

You have to love a girl who is so honest she'll tell you how much she weighs (as she did on her blog). She is someone I would like to take with me on "girls night out." Bet she could have a couple of cocktails and tuck dollar bills with the best of us.

Anonymous said...

She is a real sweetie. I love her. She is so much fun and her smile is wonderful.

Jen said...

Kirsten--you are a doll baby and if you need a new BFF in Chicago who is more than a little stressed but with a basically good heart, Jill has my phone number. Jill, I was ok with you cuddling with MGG and getting flashed by the fab abs, but my envy quotient is really off the charts here because you got to hang with Coolest Hippy Chick Ever (Kate Hudson, eat your skinny heart out 'cause you got nuthin' on KV!).

Anonymous said...

Kirsten is awesomely cool.

Anonymous said...

She's truly one of a kind, and she has good taste in collies!

Anonymous said...

If she asked me why I liked her character I would have a hard time answering that ? but I really just do.

Anonymous said...

I thought of her as a great person and your words do approve this.

They all look so happy when opening the packages - makes me smile every time.

CU sindee

Anonymous said...

That is a fantastic write-up about a fantastic lady--Kirsten! She sounds exactly like I would imagine her to be. LOVELY PERSON!!!

Anonymous said...

awesome

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had a great time with Kirsten - she rocks and so do you Jill!!

Anonymous said...

You have to love Kirsten!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Aww, Kirsten is a bad-ass chick. She would be so much fun to hang with and have a couple of beers.
WHOO!

Anonymous said...

So glad she liked everything. She is a winner.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry that I did not have the chance to send a pen. I love Kirsten.

Anonymous said...

So glad that she liked them.

Anonymous said...

She is holding the green mermaid I sent! Too funny!

Anonymous said...

I bow to Gina for giving us Kirsten and my God the lady even looks great on her day off.

Anonymous said...

That's cool. I love reading about her. She seems very nice and interesting. I love her outfits too. She dresses in her own style, which is great!

:)

Anonymous said...

I think I'd likely get along with if for no other reason than the fact that I, too, like to be prepared for everything and people are always laughing at the kind of stuff I pull out of my purse. don't think I haven't tried to put the kitchen sink in there.

jacqui

Anonymous said...

I look up to Kirsten!! So much!! Im starting college soon. Im hoping to major in theatre.. she is a huge inspiration to me and I hope one day I can make it like she has. Maybe one day I can meet her.. who knows, sky is the limit!! -Jess H.