Saturday, February 02, 2008

CRIMINAL MINDS: THOMAS GIBSON TALKS ABOUT GOLF



Criminal Minds: Thomas Gibson, Aaron Hotchner on Criminal Minds, talks about his golf game in this bit from an article about stars and the sports they play that was in the August 1999 issue of InStyle. "Hey got game" By: David Hutchings, Lisa Simpson, and Mark Morrison

HOW I STARTED: "My grandfather played golf and gave me some clubs when I was 13. I had lessons one summer in Charleston, South Carolina, and got completely hooked, and broke 40 for the first time for nine holes, which is a big deal. Then the next summer I went on to tennis because there were no girls at the golf tournaments. When I moved to New York, there was really no money or time to go play golf--I probably played once a year. Then five years ago I moved to L.A. and got bit again completely. Now I'm obsessed."

THE ROUTINE: "I don't get to practice a lot, which is the bane of my golf game. Maybe I'll play three or four times one week when I'm not working [Dharma & Greg, Eyes Wide Shut], and then I'll go two weeks before I play again. I joined a club last year, and it's some of the best money I've thrown away in my life!"

THE PAYOFF: "Golf is about being outside surrounded by green. It clears your head. It's also about the concentration it takes to play well. There's nothing like the feeling of hitting a great shot and watching the ball fly. And it teaches you lessons about life, about being patient, about things going your way and not--good breaks and bad."

THE SCORE: "I have just enough talent to fool myself that I can be a good player. I think if I work at it, I might be able to beat par occasionally. But it's tough. You can have it one day, and it can just vanish the next. It's really sad!"